Jay Jay - 2003

Jay Jay - July 7, 2007

Jay Jay - July 7, 2007

JayJay with Brianna

Jayanta snuggles with young friend Brianna - 2004

Jayanta - proud of his catch - 2003

Jayanta prepares for a catch 2004!

Jayanta and Kylie race to the frisbee 2003

Jayanta-OC California

Jay Jay, lounging at home in Orange County, CA 2004

Christmas at Chris' 2004

Jayanta (1994? - 2007)

May you now run and play in a body so light and free from pain and affliction.

If you come back to us choose whatever form delights you.

Visit often, watch over us and show us the way to be loving and poised, as you were.

I love you Jay Jay - You are always my boy and are perfect in all ways.


I rescued Jay Jay in the Summer of 2003 from a family in Thousand Oaks California who took him in after he'd been thrown from a truck. He was not working out on their farm and they were looking for a new home for him.

I would say he is truly an angel. He is a model of service - a quality that not every dog has. When people meet him, they are immediately moved by his sweetness and genuine care for others.

Jay Jay - My Beloved Companion and Hero

Jay Jay - July 7, 2007

Jay Jay - July 9, 2007

Jay Jay - July 7, 2007

Jay Jay with Joan
July 9, 2007

Jay Jay - July 7, 2007

Jay Jay - July 7, 2007



The beginning of the story:
Jayanta was rescued on Sunday, June 1, 2003. I was told he was thrown from a truck sometime in 2002 in Thousand Oaks, California. He ran into the woods, and some riders from a nearby horse farm worked for about one week to catch him. That was the "story." Then variations popped up that he was seriously injured, or not injured at all.

The described him with so much affection and claimed to have had him vetted after his "car accident" and that had no injuries.

Then named Edgar, Jayanta lived on an equestrian facility for one year. The public nature of the boarding facility did not "suit" him. Being a shepherd, Jayanta was very protective of his home. So then Jayanta was moved up to the proprietors house where he stayed until the they contacted BSCA Rescue. They were interested in finding a new home for "Edgar."

I went to identify him as a Belgian Sheepdog for BSCA as the coordinator at the time was not convinced based on his photos. He was surely a Belgian, probably from the Segister lines. I noted he was off in his gait and was either wounded in his car accident, or displastic. I was assured by the owners that he had no hip problems and that the vet had given him a clean bill of health. At the time my purpose was only to identify the dog, not consider him for placement in my home. I did not view Jayanta at his house, rather at a meeting place near the freeway. This was a mistake on my part, and partially my own choosing as I find dogs more open to "meetings" when away from their homes.

As I drove away, I had a strange feeling...as though I'd been blessed by some gentle loving spirit. I felt this feeling all day and kept thinking about this dog known as Edgar. How similar he was to my own dog Kylie. About a week later, I phoned the owners and told them I was interested in Edgar, but did not have the facilities. I told them if they didn't find a home for him, I'd take him when I had new living arrangements. 4 months later, "Edgar" had still not been rehomed, so I went to pick him up. He seemed a bit worse for the wear, and I noticed the owner put him in my truck for me. He was also very anxious, apparently upset to be away from the house (I met them at the barn this time).

Edgar was very emotional and panicked that first 24 hours. When I reached my house, I opened the tailgate of my blazer, leashed Edgar and invited him to jump out. To my horror, his left hind leg twisted in the most grotesque way and he fell sideways coming out of the truck. I grabbed him mid-air (all 87.5 pounds of him). I was sickened that I'd been mislead about his condition. I'd inquired numerous times about his hips and been told he'd been vetted as normal. He was clearly not well.

Later, I opened the front door to put some freshly unpacked boxes outside. Out Jayanta trotted. He wasn't able to move fast, but as I called him, there was no response, not even a flicker of the ear. I caught up to him and grabbed his collar. The surprise in his face was the giveaway. He couldn't hear. More horror on my part. I phoned my friend Teri, the BSCA Rescue Chair at the time. I was crying, "I can't keep this dog, he needs serious medical attention and money, and he can't keep up with me and Kylie!" I felt horrible. I envisioned him as being more appropriately the old farm dog who stays home and guards the roost whilst the young dogs work the livestock. Not the "get-up-and-go" kind of dog that Kylie was, always heading to herding or hiking with Mom.

That night, I pulled out my dog brushes and went to work on Edgar. The previous owners told me they had taken him to the dog bath and bathed hime and spent hours working on matted fur. They said they had clipped some of his hair, to remove mattes. As I began brushing line by line of hair, I had more horror in store. There were hundreds of foxtails embedded in his flesh, festering and bloody. That's when I knew Edgar was shaking his head because there were foxtails in his ears, and maybe why he couldn't hear. His previous owners had told me the vet had checked his ears and they were fine. There were foxtails in every inch of him...not just the legs and underside as in a dog running through foxtails, but embedded around his seat bones and rib cage and neck, indicating he'd been lying in a bed of foxtails.

I phoned the veterinarian on Jayanta's Rabies certificate. The vet never saw him and never treated him...he simply received a vaccination from the technician.

The following Wednesday, I took Jayanta to his first veterinary appointment. He did in fact have foxtails in his ears, right in the eardrums, and would have to stay overnight to have them removed under anesthesia. There would be no money for xrays to address his hip problem. Also apparent was a stiffness in his neck and a slightly roached back, and atrophy to the haunches. Dr. Hicks said it could be arthritis or hip displasia. We also ran a senior blood panel. The following morning I picked up Jayanta to learn his blood test showed early stages of Kidney Failure. The picture was getting worse. He was crying so much and seemed so miserable, I was contemplating putting him down. I wouldn't have him suffer any more than he already had.

A few more days went by, and I noticed Jayanta had more movement in his body. He would now roll and scratch his back. Clearly he was happy to be rid of the "nails" in his body. He would give me moments of hope and moments of dispair. I had him visit with Laila, a holistic practitioner, and in muscle testing him for his inventory of ailments, it seemed that most of his problems would be healed with proper diet. He let us know he did in fact wish to live, despite his pain. I did buy a case of the Kidney Diet commercial food, but felt very bad about it. I went to work right away researching how to modify a raw diet to the kidney disease patient. I was referred to www.bowchow.com by a fellow subscriber to the rawfeeding chat list (yahoo groups).

Jayanta is the name I gave Edgar because of the spirit with which he carries himself. Jayanta is a Sanskrit name meaning "victorious" and is also a name for Lord Vishnu, the creative aspect of God. Jayanta is also the name of a friend of mine who is elderly, and who, like Edgar, has hip and back problems. Jayanta the person is very sage-like and leaves people with a sense of having been blessed. Since I saw this in Edgar, and wanted the world to greet him with kindness, not giggles over his name, I changed his name to Jayanta. To those who know him he is still often referred to as Edgar, or Uncle Eddie.

Jayanta had a second veterinary visit with Dr. Van Cise in Norco for a holistic assessment. In addition to Reiki, homeopathy and traditional medicine, Dr. Van Cise practices Accupuncture. On this day, Dr. Van Cise felt that Jayanta's largest problem was a lack of recovery from trauma. This included the state of his kidneys. He gave Jayanta an accupuncture treatment, an LM potency of Arnica for trauma and an 8 pill per day regime of Dismutase. He recommended ongoing accupuncture to assist in his healing. Jayanta builds muscle and improves in health on a daily basis. His progress is visually evident.

They in fact held him for me for several months before I was able to actually take him home. I believed that he would be as they described and that he would be a nice addition to my family and would enjoy herding sheep along wiht my other dog, Kylie.

However his arrival painted a new picture. Jay Jay couldn't hear and had no strength in his haunches. His initial veterinary examination revealed kidney desease, hip displasia and signs of past fractures of the neck and ribs. He was unable to hear do to foxtails in his ear and the resulting infection. He had foxtails embedded in his skin all over his body.

This all sounds very dire, however Jay Jay has gone on to have four wonderful years with me, although expensive ones. I initially tried to rehome him to someone who could financially maintain him, however there were no volunteers. I then was able to raise a significant amount of money for him through this page. The major contributors were the Belgian Sheepdog Club of America and Terri Meredyth.


Modified 01/15/07